Disappointed: Make Up Forever Ultra HD Foundation

19 November 2016


Chances are you’ve probably heard of this foundation and chances are you’ve heard really glowing reviews about it, in fact I haven’t seen one bad review. Thus, I can scarcely believe that I am disappointed with this product, but I am. This foundation is universally hailed as be

ing one of the best foundations ever, I’m pretty sure I saw Kylie Jenner applying it in one of her snapchats, but it just hasn’t worked for me and I’m super bummed because it has such a great reputation.


The Make Up Forever Ultra HD Foundation is described as feeling like second skin but still with a medium coverage that makes it look natural and skin look flawless. I can attest to this, once applied, it looks great; the finish is very natural, not matte but not dewy. The coverage is buildable; I apply it lightly during the day so my blemishes still shine through, but nothing that can’t be fixed with concealer. I’m not a fan heavy coverage foundation for during the day, but this is great in that it’s super buildable and makes it really versatile.

OK so, so far I can’t fault it, I love how it applies, I love how it looks on the skin and I LOVE THE SHADE RANGE. As someone who seriously struggles to find foundation to match his or her skin (I think MUFE is the only brand who stocks foundation pale enough to match my skin), this is amazing. The HD foundation has 40 shades. Someone find me another brand that has 40 shades. I wear Y205, which is the lightest shade they have, and yellow toned. They don’t just cater to pale skins; there are a lot of darker shades too, which is great.

I find the shade match is really nice. It’s not very yellow which is great because my skin is neutral toned instead of red/yellow and pink toned foundations make my face look muddy, however I feel like this shade just makes my skin look clear and bright.

The bad news: After a couple of hours of wear, this stuff sinks into my pores in a very obvious way. It’s like all the foundation around my pores just slides into the little pores, so I end up with light coloured dots all on my cheeks, nose and chin. Not pretty and is actually kind of obvious even if you’re not looking that closely.


I’ve figured out that it’s a problem with primers, or a problem between this foundation and primers.  I wear a clinical skincare primer everyday designed to help reduce pores, clear up and spots and brighten skin but mainly for SPF. If I don’t wear the primer and wear only moisturiser then I don’t this problem. But I want to wear primer, my makeup goes on so much better, lasts so much longer and with my skin, I need all the SPF I can get. I’ve tried it with the Hourglass Mineral Veil primer, which is hailed as one of the best (and most expensive) primers, and it was the same deal.

For a $67 foundation I was hoping for a little better. I do like it, without the whole primer debacle, it’s a great foundation, I love how it looks and feels on the skin, but I need to wear primer everyday and it’s not possible with this. I’ll wait till I finish the bottle of this, then I’ll go back to the MUFE Mat Velvet +, which is a better choice for me in summer anyway.


I’m interested to know anyone elses experiences with this foundation and if they’ve had problems with the primer, let me know!


If you’re interested in purchasing it, there’s two main retailers within Australia: here at Sephora (Sephora however doesn’t stock the lighter and darker shades of this foundation which is extremely annoying.) I buy my MUFE products from PM Studio as they stock every single shade of this foundation.

FOLLOW ME:

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© ellie rossa. Design by Fearne.