The One I Never Thought I'd Buy: Kylie Lipkits

9 November 2016


No, I don’t think I ever thought the day would come where I would spend a dollar on anything related to the Kardashian/Jenner empire, but here I am.


I don’t think there’s many people who are interested in beauty at any level who haven’t heard of Kylie Cosmetics, and more specifically the Lipkits. I was sceptical for a while, my one experience with liquid lipstick was a Sephora lip crème when I was fourteen that I bought so I could say I bought something from Sephora when I went to Italy. It was a great colour, bright red but totally unforgiving on my dry, slightly on the thin side, lips.

Kylie’s lipkits come in some pretty amazing and some pretty crazy colours too – green, grey and several shades of blue and black.
I however, went with four more ‘tame’ shades – Mary Jo K, Candy K, Leo and Ginger.


From left to right: Mary Jo K, Ginger, Leo, Candy K
Mary Jo K
I got my hands on Mary Jo K back when lipkits would sell out within minutes of being released. Mary Jo K wasn’t the shade I originally wanted to get, I had wanted Posie K and Candy K but both had sold out and so I bought Mary Jo K simply because I’d never seen any of the lipkits in stock before and didn’t know when that ever happen again (spoiler! A week later Kylie announced she would produce enough lipkits so people could easily get their hands on the shades), my desperation wasn’t even necessary.

Mary Jo K is a true red, a bright red. The type of red which suits everyone, I however am used to wearing a deeper, brown-toned red (Fire Down Below, NARS) and so found this very bright on my skin.


Mary Jo K
Candy K
Candy K was for months the most popular shade, selling out instantly and it’s not hard to see why. It’s a beautiful, pinky-brown that is universally flattering. It’s definitely an everyday shade, I wore this to uni most days before I got my hands on Ginger.


Candy K
Leo
For me, Leo was love at first sight. I’d been searching for the perfect deep, wine red. It originally came out as part of the birthday collection and I still don’t quite know how but I got it in the first batch that were sold. It’s packaging differs from the normal collection, with gold packaging instead of black. I wanted to love Leo, and it’s nice, but to me it’s nothing more. It was just far too dark for me. I have such fair skin and this looks almost black on me when applied with the brush.
I prefer to wear this on top of lip balm and by smooshing it in with finger. It dilutes the colour out a bit, adds a bit of hydration and gives me that perfect wine red I’d been wanting.

Leo
Ginger
Ginger I got only a couple of days ago and was one I wasn’t expecting to love. Before I dyed my hair red, my go to lip colour was red, always but now I’m experimenting with dusty pinks and some browns. Ginger is a beautiful warm brown that definitely runs pink. It came out as part of her summer collection along with Kristen which I haven’t got but am itching to get my hands on, and Maliboo which is a very grey-brown. 


Ginger

The pigmentation in all shades is pretty intense as you would expect from a liquid lipstick. Leo runs a bit patchy which seems to be the case with a lot of the darker shades from Kylie’s line.

The pencils apply like a dream, they’re beautiful and creamy but I’m not sure if they’re necessary as I rarely use the pencils.

My favourite way to wear these shades is not the usual swipe over of the lipstick, I prefer to put on some clear lip balm, and then dot a bit of the colour on my lips and basically smoosh it into my lips. Yes, that is a technical term.

Now, which colours do I want now?
Kristen, a strawberry red looks gorgeous and isn’t like anything I already own, Reign is a beautiful brown-red metallic, I don’t know when I would ever wear it or if it would suit me but it’s gorgeous.

And as for the Kyshadows?? GIVE THEM TO ME.

The Lipkits retail for $29USD each, which equates to about  $38AUD (depending on current exchange rate) which I think is actually quite a fair price for a good lipstick and that it also comes with a lipliner.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
The shipping however is exorbitant, $14.95USD (almost $20AUD) which means for one Lipkit you’re paying almost $60AUD. Kylie however has recently brought in free domestic shipping for orders over $40, and free international shipping for orders over $60, so it might be worth putting in an order with friends if you can.

Let me know if you've ordered any colours or if you've been disappointed by Kylie's products!



FOLLOW ME:

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© ellie rossa. Design by Fearne.